The chapel in Channel Row merits attention for several reasons. At times, events that occurred there were known to the “authorities”. A 1727 document refers to a famous convent in Channel Row, “where the most celebrated Italian musicians help to make the voices of the Holy Sisters more melodious; and many Protestant Fine Gentlemen have been invited to take their places in a convenient gallery, and hear the performances.”

On other occasions, “clandestine” activities took place, which, if discovered by the priest-catchers, earned them rewards. The nuns remained undaunted. By 1744, three bishops, on different occasions, were consecrated in the chapel, unknown to the “authorities”. Less fortunate were two Dominican priests found in the convent earlier in 1744. They were arrested and imprisoned. “Paid in charity for ye prisoners” appears quite often in the convent account books. In 1745, all Catholic churches were allowed to re-open. (As mentioned previously, enactment of the Penal Laws varied depending on the political situation.)
[to be continued in part 7]

From Sr. Maris Stella McKeown, Archivist, Mission Area of Ireland

For more details, see this website link WHO WE ARE, with Drop down menu –HISTORY and BOOKS.
The drop down menu in WHAT WE DO provides insights into how and where the seed, planted in Dublin in 1717, has grown and sprouted other branches in the following three centuries.