Visit from the Holy Rosary Sisters to Cabra 24th February 2024.

This visit marked the historic day one hundred years ago for the Holy Rosary Sisters. At the request of Bishop Shanahan four Dominican Sisters from Cabra, Mother Xavier O’Connor, Mother Aquinas McSwiggan, Mother Ursula Cullen and Mother Anastasia Hickey went to Killeshandra with the young aspirants who had been in Cabra for their initial formation.

Some months earlier in October 1923 the seven aspirants were welcomed to Cabra and received some formation on various aspects of religious life. Initially it was planned by Bishop Shanahan that after a year’s formation these sisters would begin their first missionary journey to Nigeria, but that decision was postponed until 1928, because the then Bishop of Kilmore invited them to establish the Congregation in Killeshandra in the Kilmore diocese.

Today the Holy Rosary Sisters and the our Dominican Congregation celebrate the memory of the missionary contribution of the Cabra Dominicans. We celebrate with them the special occasion of our joint rich inheritance.

As part of the celebrations the sisters joined us in Mary Bellew House for coffee, visited the graves of their ‘founding mothers’ , visited the Church and saw the main gate on the Ratoath Road from where the sisters would have begun their journey. To mark the occasion a clock was presented by the Holy Rosary Sisters, to the Cabra Dominicans as a symbol of this moment in the history of both Congregations.